Self Drive Itineraries
Allawah Guests do require their own vehicle or a hire car during their stay.
Discover what Atherton Tablelands has to offer. Select from the itineraries below to complete your highland experience.
- Explore Kuranda
- Waterfall Circuit
- Chillagoe Limestone Caves Tour
- Lakes Tour
- The Savannah Way – Undara Experience
- Coffee, Wine & Wetlands Tour (Hot Air Ballooning optional)
- Heritage and Scenic Driving Tour
Cairns, Port Douglas and Daintree areas are also easily accessible as a day trip from Allawah Retreat.
Close to Home — Attractions and Tours — Tolga & Atherton
- Road side stalls selling locally produced fruit & vegies – from the farmers' gate, can’t get any fresher
- Tolga Woodworks Craft Gallery & Café — for fine timber creations and fine food
- Bruce Duncan Photographic Gallery,Tolga — diverse collection of photographic art
- Tolga Cane sells interesting furniture and cane bric-a-brac
- Atherton Antiques & Australiana for that special collectable piece.
- Hou Wang Temple Atherton Chinatown — with century old temple and interactive display centre — tours available and also has a gallery selling local artwork
- Wildlife display located behind Hou Wang Temple — check at the Temple for show times
- Platypus Park beside the temple — try your luck at spotting a platypus also the original railway station
- The Crystal Caves & Fascinating Facets has an amazing cave system displaying natural crystals and fossils offering self-guided underground tours, a huge range of jewellery etc can be purchased at Fascinating Facets.
- Rainforest Arts, Atherton — A variety of wood carving, art, pottery and sculpture
- Bajinjilla Indigenous Art & Craft, Atherton aboriginal art and prints, owned & operated by local indigenous families
- Warbird Adventures operate from Mareeba Airport — flights in restored warbird aircraft operate on Thursday & Sundays.
- Rocky Creek War Memorial — Was a tent city Hospital base in WWII and troops were sent here for treatment of malaria and general healing, 20,000 American & Australian troops were based here during WWII. Many remnants still remain.
- The War Igloo — located at the Kennedy Highway turn off to Allawah was the cinema for the troops
- Hallorans Hill Lookout offers panoramic views to Lake Tinaroo and the pristine farmland; take a look at the interesting artwork
- The Humpy, Tolga for a variety of local produce, health foods and a range breads eg spelt etc.
- Tableland Heritage Centre, Tolga — an amazing collection of Heritage farming and machinery.